Hey people , As we know that the refreshing is one of the basic, tedious and regular activity . We need to have some tool to help with the refresh Activity. This blog is my notes from the below mentioned video :
What is refresh activity in short ?
So we know that there are 3 landscape in SAP : DEV , QA and PROD
DEV where the development happens.
QA where we need to test our development on business data and validate the results.
PRD where actually business processes are working.
So, the answer to this question is the activity of copying the business data from PRD to QA is called System refresh . Refresh activity is performed at fixed interval of time depending upon the business and business requirement.
Libelle and System Copy
So a small intro to the tool we are discussing in this blog "Libelle SystemCopy" , it is a tool developed by Libelle which has various SAP products to help SAP Basis Consultants. Set of tools can be classified into 3 types :
1. Data Replication (SAP HANA , Oracle, SAP ASE, MSSQL, SAP MaxDB etc) : majorly dealing in DR , mirroring and secondary system concepts.
2. System Refresh Automation of SAP (System Copy, Client Copy Add-on , Data Masking : which scrambles the sensitive business data in non prod environment , DB Copy Add-on)
3. Data Masking and Landscape Management (Data Masking (Standalone solution), Edimon IDoc Monitor for SAP , Lift and Shift Migrations)
Basics of System Refresh Automation
So people use system refresh and system copy term interchangeably but here it means "Homogeneous System Copies and Client Refreshes. We don not include Data slicing or heterogeneous migration"
SAP Definition of Data Slicing
Libelle automated SAP System Refresh is more consistent and faster than manual execution in most of the cases.
Why refresh automation is required ? Why Libelle automation comes in picture ?
The activity when performed manually has these issues :-
1. Time Intensive
2. Know-How Intensive : A large amount of training of landscapes and systems is required.
3. Labor intensive
4. Highly repetitive : Depending on the business and business requirement the number of refreshes required per year changes and can be very tedious.
5. Increased Requests for refreshes
6. Small mistake have big impacts
7. BDLS running for hours.
8. Quality depends on who executes : chances of human led error , un attended consequences
9. High Complexity
10. Downtime during execution