Host agents perform several life-cycle management tasks, such as operating system monitoring, database monitoring, system instance control and provisioning.
- Installed automatically during the installation of new SAP system instances with SAP kernel 7.20 or higher.
- SAP Host Agent is upgraded automatically as part of the SAP system instance, when you patch or upgrade the SAP kernel.
- You can also install and upgrade SAP Host Agent independently from an SAP system instance.
- Host agent is started automatically while we restart by sapinst in unix and in windows it is done by window service SAPHostcontrol and SAPHostexec.
Feature Provided by SAP Hostagent:
By using sap hostagent various external entity such as LAMA , SOLMAN , SAP MC interact with the system using webservice runtime.
SAP instance discovery and inventory
SAP instance control
Database monitoring and management
System or instance provisioning:
Hosting the infrastructure of SAP Landscape Virtualization Management (LVM), formerly known as SAP NetWeaver Adaptive Computing Controller (ACC)
Hosting software lifecycle (SL) tools interfaces
Operating system monitoring:
Using Common Information Model (CIM) based infrastructures
IBM i-specific features:
Dynamically adopted authorization for SAP kernel 7.20 and higher
SAP ILE daemon (SAPILED)
SAP Database Performance Collector for IBM i
- SAPHostControl should not be confused with sapstartsrv which runs under the <sid>adm user in the SAP system instance with the instance profile.
- SAPHostControl contains the functionality of the previous CCMS agent SAPCCMSR, that is, the agent that monitors hosts.
- Is SAP Hostagent mandatory , short answer No! , but it is highly recommended by SAP and is installed automatically at multiple instances for example when diagnostic agent is installed or simply when kernel is installed.
SAP hostagent files :-
Work Dir : In unix and IBM , /usr/sap/hostctrl/work
Log Dir : Created During runtime
How to download latest SAP Hostagent?
INSTALLATIONS & UPGRADES -> A-Z Index -> H
SAP HOST AGENT -> <SELECT PLATFORM> -> SAPHOSTAGENT_*.SAR